A. The Staff Council shall be a vehicle through which the Staff of Columbus State University shall communicate. Staff shall be defined as all persons employed full-time and part-time by Columbus State University not carrying full-time faculty rank. (Faculty is defined in the Columbus State University Statutes.)
B. Staff Council should be comprised of 34 voting members. Each University Division (as defined in Article 1 Section B of the Staff Council Bylaws) shall select representatives to the Staff Council. Only full-time or part-time regular Staff employees of the department are eligible to serve as Staff Council Representatives. Representatives shall be elected from each of the following units on campus as designated.
|Division Title||# of Representatives|
|Plant Ops||3: 1 Custodial, 1Building Serv, 1 Other|
C. Representatives shall be elected in June to serve a one-year term, to begin in August. Staff members can elect to be a voting member up to three consecutive terms. At the end of three consecutive terms, the Division Director will be contacted to find a new representative. If no other Staff are willing to serve, the original Staff member may continue to serve, up to three additional consecutive terms, if willing. The Committee on Elections shall assist the units with elections as needed. Nominations and replacements must be made within 30 days.
D. Voting members are responsible for:
- Dissemination of information from Staff Council to the fellow Staff in their division.
- Attend each Staff Council meeting. If the member is unable to attend he/she is responsible to send an alternative representative to the Council in his/her place. After two consecutive unexcused absences from Staff Council meetings, a replacement will be requested from the University Division by the Council.
- Voting on items before the Council. Only elected voting members are eligible to vote. Voting members may submit their vote to the Secretary via email if they are unable to attend the meeting where the vote is taken.
E. All Staff Council meetings and events are open for all university staff to attend.
A. The Staff Council Officers shall be the Chair, Chair-Elect, Secretary, Assistant Secretary, Financial Officer, and Webmaster.
B. The officers shall be nominated from the floor, at the regular meeting in May, and elected by ballot at the regular meeting in June. A majority vote shall be necessary to elect. When there is only one nominee for an office, he/she may be elected by voice. All officers shall take office immediately at the close of the session in which they are elected.
C. Any member of the Council shall be eligible for election to any office except the Chair. The office of Chair shall be assumed automatically by the previous year's Chair-Elect.
D. Duties of the Officers:
- The Chair shall preside at all meetings of the Staff Council; Chair the Executive Board; abide by the stated rules of order when conducting meetings; refer all matters submitted for the Council's attention to the appropriate committee(s) and/or to the University President; serve by appointment on University committees; prepare a written annual report of the past year's progress and make it available to all members of the council prior to the August meeting; serve as ex-officio member on all Council committees; serve as liaison to the University President, both keeping the University President informed regarding concerns of the Council and seeking the University President's support and advice on behalf of the Council.
- The Chair-Elect shall assist the Chair in all ways, assume the duties and powers of the Chair in the absence of the Chair, introduce new members and visitors at Council meetings, deliver to the incoming Chair-Elect all pertinent files, and perform such other duties as may be assigned. The Chair-Elect shall automatically become Chair upon completion of a one-year term as Chair-Elect.
- The Secretary shall be responsible for recording minutes of each Council meeting, including the distribution of minutes to staff members before the next scheduled meeting of the Council; keep minutes of the Executive Board meetings if necessary and notify members of meeting dates and locations, and to serve, by appointment, on Columbus State University committees as deemed necessary.
- The Assistant Secretary maintains attendance records, serves in the absence of the Secretary, and other secretarial needs.
- The Financial Officer shall be responsible for all fiscal matters including maintaining yearly records of all account numbers and balances relating to the Staff Council.
- The Webmaster shall maintain all of the Staff Council web pages.
- The Executive Board shall consider all matters presented to it by the Chair, the University President, the Staff Council, committee Chairs, and others, and make recommendations.
- Assist the Chair in setting the agenda for Staff Council meetings.
- The Executive Board term shall be the Officers' elected term.
- The Executive Board shall meet at the discretion of the Chair.
- The outgoing and incoming Executive Boards shall meet, in lieu of a regular Staff Council meeting, in July to transfer responsibilities and pertinent records and files.
F. Staff Council Officers shall be elected in June to begin serving immediately, and shall serve for one year with a maximum of two consecutive years.
A. The Staff Council shall meet the first Thursday of each month at a time and place designated by the Chair. Additional meetings of the Council shall be held at the discretion of the Chair.B. The order of business for regular meetings shall be set forth in the agenda by the Executive Board. The order of business may be altered by consensus during the meeting. The order of business shall include:
- call to order,
- approval of previous meeting's minutes,
- committee reports,
- old business,
- new business,
- announcements, and
A. Committee on Elections - The Committee on Elections shall consist of a chair and a minimum of two additional members and shall be either volunteers or appointed by the Chair in August of each year. The Committee on Elections shall assist with elections in the designated units each June. The Chair and members of the Elections Committee shall be elected members of the Council.
B. Staff Development and Recognition Committee - The Staff Development and Recognition Committee shall consist of a chair and a minimum of two additional members who may be volunteers or appointed by the Chair in August of each year. The Chair and members of the Staff Development and Recognition Committee shall be elected members of the Council. The purpose of this committee is to support the professional development of staff through the book scholarships and other educational and activities. This committee will recognize staff members for their exceptional service to Columbus State through the annual Staff Service Award.
C. Staff Public Relations Committee - The Committee shall consist of a chair and a minimum of two additional members. The Chair and members of the Committee may be volunteers or appointed by the Chair in August of each year. The Chair and at least two members of the Staff Public Relations Committee shall be elected members of the Council. The committee shall be responsible for organizing and coordinating with Human Resources and other appropriate departments to ensure representation of staff at CSU functions, i.e. Welcome Tours, welcome back events, holiday social, homecoming and CSU Day. This committee will also coordinate with Human Resources to reach out to all new staff employees and provide them information pertaining to Staff Council and their representation.
D. Staff Appreciation Committee - The Committee shall consist of a chair and a minimum of two additional members. The Chair and members of the Committee may be volunteers or appointed by the Chair in August of each year. The Chair and members of the Committee shall be elected members of the Council. The purpose of this committee is to sponsor events and activities that celebrate the contributions that staff make toward the success of Columbus State.
E. Fund Raising Committee - The Committee shall consist of a chair and a minimum of two additional members. The Chair and members of the Committee may be volunteers or appointed by the Chair in August of each year. The Chair and at least two members of the Committee shall be elected members of the Council. The purpose of this committee is to generate income through activities that will be used by the Staff Council to fund operations, events, projects, and awards (i.e. the book scholarship, employee of the quarter, and staff appreciation events).
- Recycling Subcommittee – The Chair of this subcommittee shall be an elected member of the Council. The purpose of this sub-committee is to coordinate the Staff Council recycling activities with a goal towards raising funds for Staff Council initiatives.
F. Other committees shall be appointed as needed.
G. All committees, with the exception of the Committee on Elections will meet at least one week prior to each scheduled Staff Council meeting. One representative from each committee must be present at each Staff Council meeting providing copies of the minutes from the last committee meeting and an update on activities.
Scholarships and Grants
A. The Staff Development and Scholarship Committee shall award up to 3 scholarships per academic year to qualified Columbus State University employees. The scholarship is funded by Staff Council sponsored activities and is awarded based on available funding. The Book Scholarship is an award of up to $300.00, which is given in $150.00 increments in two separate semesters within a four semester period (including summer semesters).
The requirements to apply for this award are as follows:
- Be a regular, benefits-eligible employee of Columbus State University, employed for a minimum of six months.
- Must have completed two semesters of course work, within the field of study for the degree, at an accredited institution
- Must have and maintain an overall cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Be enrolled in at least one course within the field of study at an accredited institution in the semester that the scholarship is requested.
Criteria for awarding scholarships will be based on a written essay of 250 - 500 words describing why the applicant should receive the scholarship, financial need, goal(s) for school, and current the minimum GPA.
All applications should be submitted to the Staff Development & Scholarship Committee, along with the essay and a current official/ unofficial transcript, no later than the deadline established by the committee. This date shall be no later than two weeks prior to the first day of the fall or spring semester. Once selection has been made, the committee shall notify the recipients in writing and provide, a copy to the Financial Officer of the Staff Council.
Upon proof of registration to the Financial Officer, the Financial Officer shall forward a memo to the Business Office requesting a semester check be issued from the Staff Council Book Scholarship fund.B. Continuing Education - The requirements to apply for this award are as follows:
- Must be employed by Columbus State University as benefits eligible employee.
- Only one discount of 25% (up to $75) per employee, per year on any course offered through Continuing Education Services.
- The discount can be applied to the employee's immediate family. Immediate family refers to the employee, the employee's spouse, the employee's children, employee's grandchildren or employee's foster children.
- Applications can be obtained from the CSU website or the Continuing Education department and must be signed by the employee supervisor to verify employment.
C. Staff Development Grants - Proposals for Staff Development Grants should be directed to the Staff Development & Recognition Committee Chair, who will present them to the entire Staff Council at the first meeting after receipt of the proposal. Any program that promotes professional development and career advancement shall be considered for Staff Development Grants. Proposals must be approved by a two-thirds majority vote of the members present. Funds for approved Staff Development Grants may be reallocated from the Staff Council Book Scholarship fund at the discretion of the Staff Council, by a 2/3-majority vote of the members present.
Proposed amendments to the Bylaws must be submitted to the Staff Council through a representative. The Council must approve amendments by a two-thirds majority vote of the members present. Amendments approved by the Council shall be communicated to the staff members campus-wide. Amendments shall then be submitted to the President of Columbus State University for approval.
A. At the appointed time, the Chair calls the meeting to order.
B. Reading and approval of the minutes: If a member finds fault with the minutes, the member may correct them by addressing the Chair. A member must get the Chair's attention, be recognized by the Chair, and then state what needs to be corrected. After the correction has been made, the Chair shall ask for a motion to approve the minutes as corrected. A second must be made, and then the Chair shall call for a vote by the members.
C. Reports by standing committees (permanent committees): The committee chairs shall provide a copy of the committee's meeting minutes and reports to the Council members.
D. Reports of special committees: Examples: awards committee, nominating committees, etc. Chair of the committee shall provide report to the Council members.
E. Unfinished business/old business/any business left over from a previous meeting: It is the duty of the Chair to see that all unfinished business is presented to the staff members.
F. New business: If a member wishes to propose something new (anything that has not been brought before the members at a previous meeting), the member must do it under new business. The member may gain the right to speak by getting the Chair's attention and being recognized by the Chair. If the member wants the committee to take action, the member makes a motion.
G. Announcements: The floor shall be open to any members who wish to make an announcement of coming events.
H. Adjournment: The Chair closes the meeting.